May 30, 2011
National Training Announces the Boilermaker Biennial Apprenticeship Competition
In 2012, the Boilermakers will introduce an exciting team dynamic and new format to the National Apprenticeship Competition, taking place June 24th-28th in Moncton, NB.
The format will be a biennial team competition, with teams of two apprentices representing each construction lodge. Events will include four individual and four team exercises accruing marks towards Top Apprentice for 2011, Top Apprentice for 2012 and Top Team awards. To be eligible to compete in the Canadian Boilermaker Apprenticeship Competition the candidates must:
- be indentured in the Boilermaker program;
- not have received more than one year of time credit prior to starting their apprenticeship in the Boilermaker program;
- not have completed or hold a journey person trade ticket in another trade;
- have completed their final year of in-school training during the period September 1st, of the prior year through June 30th, of the year of the competition; or
- have completed their final year of in-school training during the period September 1st, of the prior year through June 30th, of the year preceding the competition year;
- have obtained the number of hours worked required to complete their apprenticeship during the period July 1st, of the year preceding the competition to June 30th, of the year of the competition or have reasonable expectations to complete the required hours during the following year after completing the last period of in-school training.
The competition allows the competing Boilermaker apprentices to display their skills and abilities to the industry as well as offering the opportunity to meet Boilermakers and industry leaders from across Canada.
All eligible apprentices who wish to represent their home lodge are advised to contact their local lodge training coordinator for more information. See photos of past competitions by clicking here.