If you have stopped working because of COVID-19, the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) may provide you with temporary income support. The CERB provides $500 a week for up to 16 weeks. If you or someone you know need to apply for this benefit, please see below.
For the most up to date information including who is eligible and how to apply, please refer to the Government of Canada website.
Before you apply
- Determine your eligibility – see Who can apply below.
- Check your myCRA account login information - If you are applying online, double check your myCRA account username and password by signing in on the CRA Website.
- Setup Direct Deposit - If you do not have direct deposit setup with the CRA, you can enrol online by following these instructions: Setup direct deposit with the CRA. Allow 3-5 days via direct deposit vs 10 days via cheque in the mail.
- Determine what day you can apply - To help manage the volume, the CRA has setup specific days for you to apply based on month of birth. As of this writing (April 7, 2020), it is as follows. If you were born in the month of:
- January | February | March: Mondays – Best day to apply is April 6th
- April | May | June: Tuesdays – Best day to apply is April 7th
- July | August | September: Wednesdays – Best day to apply is April 8th
- October | November | December: Thursdays – Best day to apply is April 9th
- Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays are open for any birth month
Who can apply
The benefit will be available to workers:
- Residing in Canada, who are at least 15 years old;
- Who have stopped working because of COVID-19 and have not voluntarily quit their job or are eligible for EI regular or sickness benefits;
- Who had income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application; and
- Who are or expect to be without employment or self-employment income for at least 14 consecutive days in the initial four-week period. For subsequent benefit periods, they expect to have no employment or self-employment income.
Interactive: Do you qualify for the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB)? (PDF)
Information related to COVID-19 is changing regularly. Members are encouraged to determine their own eligibility by applying as soon as possible here: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/ei/cerb-application.html